Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, June 18, 2010

My Weeks

Hi there all. Not sure if all of the interns read this, but it is interesting to hear what others are doing.

My weeks have involved a broad variety of tasks. I was here last year, so I had an idea of what I wanted to do. Firstly, I redid the website completely. Please have a look here if you're interested: http://www.coleharbourcap.ca. I see that some others have used Joomla!, and we followed suit. This is one thing that I feel that C@P Sites in general, even though they are technology-based, are lacking. There have been a lot of new additions as far as functionality, including a survey system for our campers, soon a number of other campers at Cole Harbour Place, and our patrons. This also involved the move to Google Apps for our email, calendar and documents, and their appropriate documentation.

We have also been running one-on-one classes, and have one to two per day. This is a great source of revenue, and can be worth $50-$100 per week. These are rewarding, and classes have been based on basic computer use, Microsoft Office, and specific usage questions. Work is also being done to bring the classes back to a larger scale.

At one point, the Cole Harbour C@P Site held full classes, with up to 8 students/class, on a number of topics. As instructors moved on, eventually there were no more left, no resources to train new ones, and the program ceased to exist. As this could provide great income, as well as a useful service to the community (many people have been asking about this service), I have great interest in revitalizing it. This is my next project.

Finally, I have been planning day camps, which we will be running starting July 5th. These are in Lego Robotics, Claymation, and a brand new Computers and Technology camp. These are much of the same curriculum as last year, so not too much needs to be done. Miles, the other intern that will be here for the summer, starts Monday, and then we will be finalizing day camp schedules and activities.

In all, it has been an intense but fun couple of weeks, and I am quite pleased with the progress we have made so far.

Talk to you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment