Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, June 18, 2010

News from Veith House

Hola! This is Josh from the Veith House CAP site in the north end of Halifax. I was Veith House's CAP site monitor last summer and part time over this past school year. Fun times have been had, but, as I'm sure most CAP interns can attest, things are generally fairly slow going. We have a website here if you'd like to know more about our wee building in the north!

This week was pretty quiet, as will be the next couple in all likelihood, because school is not out for public schoolers, and most of my visitors are between 10 and 14... ish. I still managed to keep myself busy with a project to replace a junk router we bought from Staples with a Linux-based router I built from spare parts we had in the storage room — which is truly junk, time will tell! After hours of reading man(ual) pages and editing configuration files, we now have a machine that can keep up with the browsing habits of a full CAP site instead of slowing to a crawl under the weight of so few many simultaneous connections.

I recommend against purchasing a D-Link EBR-2310 wired ethernet router.

I'm now trying to share our printer from the router using Samba and the CUPS so the staff machine needn't be on as other staff occasionally allow users in when the CAP site is closed, and it would be convenient if they could print without powering on extra computers. Not having much luck making the printer visible to Windows clients yet, though. If any of our Comp-Sci interns have experiencing configuring (functional) Samba shares, I'd value your input immensely.

Other than that, there have been odd jobs to do like moving heavy things or reaching high places. After helping set up for today's preschool graduation, I was asked to photograph the proceedings with some not-so-terrible results, though Blogger's photo uploader does them no justice at all:


Regaling parents with songs of the Itsy Bitsy Spider.

A pre-student graduating.

Story time.

"Why yes, that is a lovely Dora the Explorer book!"

Graduation was a lot of fun for kids, parents, and staff alike, and I was able to help out some parents who'd been unable to bring a camera of their own, so I suppose that's my success story for the week. Story: successful!

2 comments: