Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, June 18, 2010

We have emerged from the Dark Ages!! FINALLY!



I have been working at the Lake Echo Community Centre for the past six summers. The previous five I worked as a counselor for the Day Camp put on by the Lake Echo Lions Club, but this year I am working at the CAP site located in the same building.
During my time at the Community Centre I have grown accustomed to the lack of an online presence for both the Centre and the CAP site. Typing the Centre into Google would result in several static and ancient pages that did not represent us properly.
This year when I interviewed for the Intern position I made a commitment to create a dynamic site that was easily updated by any of the staff and contained features that would make it easy for the community to meet online.
After a couple weeks of tinkering and a lot of technical difficulties the sites are finally up and running with most of the features that the client (Sharon Dykman, the boss) wanted implemented including a forum, online registration for the day camp, and an easy way to post news and informative articles for members of the community to view.



Check them out for yourself and see what's going on in Lake Echo!

Lake Echo Rec Centre

Lake Echo CAP

If you have any question about starting a similar site for you location let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Great job Brook!
    The C@P site page looks really modern and should attract lots more youngins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good joerb!

    I renovated Veith house's website last year, and that felt great to finish. Especially after starting at that artifact from the last millennium for most of the summer.

    How do you find Joomla as a CMS? I've been debating creating a website for the preschool on a subdomain of our website to get them off Bravehost and away from the ads, etc, but our teacher is reluctant to give up her WYSIWYG editing, so I was looking at Drupal and Joomla as free/OS options.

    Any thoughts on how well the latter works for you as far as integration/customisation goes or how easily it allows less technical users to post content?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commenting on Joomla, it is fantastic for everyone, in my opinion anyway. I just moved the Cole Harbour C@P Site over to Joomla, and the reviews from others who have tried it out. It was fairly straightforward to set up, and the options for it are top notch. There is a lot more, beyond the WYSIWYG editors, however, including a huge amount of plugins, etc. In any case, I thoroughly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Matt. I shall give it a go!

    ReplyDelete